Monday, July 10, 2006

Greatest. Obituary. Ever.

I can only hope that when I die my obit is half as great, creative, and honest as this one for Mr. Fred Clark. I'm not being sarcastic (somewhat of a rarity for me), I really admire a family and a man who can be honest with their public announcement of a loved one's death, rather than allow the funeral home (or themselves) to write what are so often empty, contrived shadows that hardly befit the story of someone's, anyone's, life. Here's an excerpt:
His heart beat faster when his wife of 37 years Alice Rennie Clark entered the room and saddened a little when she left. His legacy was the good works performed by his sons, Frederic Arthur Clark III and Andrew Douglas Clark MD, PhD., along with Andy's wife, Sara Morgan Clark. Fred's back straightened and chest puffed out when he heard the Star Spangled Banner and his eyes teared when he heard Amazing Grace.
...
He had a life long love affair with bacon, butter, cigars and bourbon. You always knew what Fred was thinking much to the dismay of his friend and family. His sons said of Fred, "he was often wrong, but never in doubt".
After reading such a colorful account, one feels as if one actually knew Fred, and that, my friends, is the effect I want my obituary to read. . . hopefully many, many years from now.

Godspeed, Fred Clark, wherever you are and wherever you may be going.

No comments:

Post a Comment