Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Gen. William Westmoreland Dead

Gen. Westmoreland passed away tonight at age 91.

No matter what anyone may think of the Vietnam war, Gen. Westmoreland was a truly career soldier who spent over 30 years in the U.S. Army. Although he served in combat in three major conflicts, his time in Vietnam obviously garners the most attention, spending much of his time, in my opinion, fighting the press and contentious civilian leadership. I'll let him speak for himself:
It's more accurate to say our country did not fulfill its commitment to South Vietnam. By virtue of Vietnam, the U.S. held the line for 10 years and stopped the dominoes from falling.

Few people have a field command as long as I did. They put me over there and they forgot about me. But I was there seven days a week, working 14 to 16 hours a day.

I have no apologies, no regrets. I gave my very best efforts. I've been hung in effigy. I've been spat upon. You just have to let those things bounce off.

As we do for all veterans, we thank you for your service to our country, Gen. Westmoreland.

No comments:

Post a Comment