Thursday, September 22, 2005

Automated Sentry Gun

Ok, this thing is just cool. In fact, if this guy sold these things, I would seriously consider buying one. I don't know why, and I have NO idea what I would use it for (cats? paintball? anti-squirrel birdfeeder attachment? cats? Mr. Big-Shot from down the street? cats?), but I know for a fact that I'd have fun with it. Here's the basic outline: This guy created an automated optically-sighted sentry gun using a computer, some bits and pieces of hardware, and an airsoft gun that looks like an FN P90 PDW. It's a little like what they had in the game Half-Life and in the movie Aliens. Now I can't reinforce this enough: this thing AUTOMATICALLY tracks and shoots targets when activated. That's just awesome. For all the uber-geeks out there, he actually has some fairly detailed build-notes (and good pictures) of how he created this little gem. No schematics or anything, but enough to get the ol' wheels turnin'. Oh, and guess what? Here's the video of the creator testing the device on his brother! (it's quicktime)

Of course, my first thought after the initial "WOW that's cool" factor wore off was "Hmmm. . . If I built a custom, reinforced base, and switched out the airsoft gun for an actual. . ."

(h/t-FARK)

6 comments:

  1. There's actually a ton of law on the so-called "gun trap" cases. You really aren't allowed to setup death traps around your property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait. . .you mean, an automated sentry gun using a real gun is usually illegal? no way! you did notice that the one above is an airsoft gun, right? if you think i'd actually do this with an actual gun, you're nuts. I mean, automatic weapons are hard to get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I was just pointing out that people do and have built gun traps on a regular basis. You wouldn't build a gun trap because you want the tactile sensation of killing for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. easy now, I made my legal disclaimer

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, I totally love the idea of the anti-squirl bird feeder attachment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Half Life is real!

    ReplyDelete